Thursday 5 March 2009

If the Government keeps lecturing us, we'll tune out the good stuff

On returning from living in the USA for many years it is hard not to be struck by the excessive intrusion of the Government into our daily lives. One example is the "public service" ads which run on radio and television, lecturing us on the dangers of smoking, drinking, driving without a seatbelt or how to be responsible parents etc. They make me sick.
However...I recently saw one on TV that was breathtaking in its effectiveness and simplicity. It was the NHS ad for F.A.S.T. - how to recognize the signs of stroke and what to do. Several years ago I received an e-mail passed on by a friend with similar information. I saved it just in case, but I would not have been able to tell you what it said. Now I can.

1 comment:

  1. Part of quantitative easement seems to be to help commercial TV and radio - have we seen/heard the Sugar ad.s for apprenticeships and Diploma courses ('accepted by Universities")
    in about 5 subjects including media studies. I checked our area for all schools, all subjects and none were offered!

    And the police advertisement.. "most of our police are out on the beat"......
    "I couldn't possibly comment"

    ReplyDelete